Wednesday 12 November 2014

Leafy birdhouse card

One of my Aunties had her birthday yesterday and I made her the card below using several products from Imagination Crafts. I started with one of their 6" square pre-printed panels, which had a leafy shadows design in various shades of blue and green. I used masking tape to hold the leaf swirl border stencil in place, then added a thin layer of soft sage stencil paste with a palette knife. I removed the stencil and set the panel aside to dry for a few hours. The stencil paste was quite wet and seemed to leave a residue on the glossy card stock, so I think in future I would probably stick to using normal card instead, which would be more likely to absorb any excess moisture. Once the panel had dried I edged it with a jade coloured Copic marker to cover the white edges and provide a contrast against the white card blank beneath.


The stamped centre panel was made using a set from the Decoupage Stamp range. The centre of the leafy frame had a script background originally, but I decided to cut it out carefully with a craft knife, so that you could see the patterned card beneath. I stamped the main image three times using Memento Tuxedo Black dye ink, then I coloured them using Copic Ciao markers (G000, G21, BG72 ,BG93, W1, W5, Y000, YG03 and B24). The layers were then carefully cut out and layered up on clear foam pads to add lots of dimension. There was an extra little bird stamp in the set, so I gave her the same treatment and popped her inside the hole of the birdhouse, so that she was looking out at her mate. You can see the 3D effect in the close up photo below.


I used the same stamp set to decorate the inside of the card - the sentiment is also included so it's great value. I really like this stamp set as it reminds me of the pair of blue tits that nest in the box on our shed each year. We love to watch them flying in and out, trying to keep up with feeding their hungry brood!


Finally, I'll leave you with a photo of a single climbing red rose, which I took in our garden yesterday. We have an arbour with climbing roses, which we planted in memory of my Dad and David's parents. Usually the roses only bloom in the summer, but it has been fairly mild here recently. I was still surprised to see this single beautiful bloom in November though! I think that it was very appropriate that it appeared on Remembrance day and I'm sure that it was a sign from my Dad to show that he is watching over us.


Thanks for looking.

Lynn.

1 comment:

  1. This is so pretty, I love the little bird house! How surprising to have one single bloom in November - surely that must be a sign, and a very beautiful one at that x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!