Thursday 22 May 2014

Soft Watercolour Wash Background (with Stencils) - part 1

I have been taking an online class, Watercolour for card makers, and have been trying out lots of different techniques. Some are new to me and others I'm revisiting - but all have been lots of fun! We were set homework after each day, so my next few posts will be showing what I made for that - thankfully none of my assignments look like the dog has eaten them!


The first lesson on day 1 was to make soft watercolour wash backgrounds using stencils. I got carried away with trying out different stencils for this and ended up making five cards using this technique. For my first card I used a Tim Holtz layering stencil - Burlap (THS007) and a selection of brown shades of watercolour paint on Strathmore Bristol smooth paper.



 
 
The tag was stamped with a sentiment from Kaisercraft (from their Friendship Sentiments set) and this was heat embossed using Zing Chestnut embossing powder. I added a bow from button twine to echo Jennifer Rzasa's original design, but I felt that it needed a little more embellishment, so I added three small gold mosaic tiles.
 
 

 
 
 
My second card was made in a similar way, but using The Crafters Workshop Mini Basketweave stencil and yellow and red paints. This is very vibrant in real life and looked good on a black card blank. The sentiment is from Waltzingmouse Stamps' Compact Sentiments set and the small heart is from their Sweethearts set - I heat embossed them both using Wow! Black Glint embossing glitter. You can't see in the photo, but it's actually really sparkly! The die cut camera was mounted with foam pads for extra dimension.
 
 
I'll be back later with a few more cards. Thanks for looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!